From – Port au Prince, Haiti – Feb 7, 2010

Today we left the house about 5:45 am, this time headed directly to work. We went directly to a canal to fill up the tank on the truck with 300 gallons of water for drilling, then back to the first well site, which was ready for the pump to be installed and dropped off supplies for Snaider to do the work there. We had hoped to do it yesterday, but Snaider got back too late and we were at the embassy too late. Then Kevin and I went to the rig at the second tent city, where we had started the well, but were stopped by broken bearings. I was actually excited to put the bearings in that Snaider had brought back… woops, hold on, the bearing sleeve was about ½ inch too long, so we could not use one of them. We tried every arrangement we could think of with new bearings, but in the end we had to use one badly worn bearing and one new one, but at least it works for now, and that’s a good thing.

The drilling is really tough for this little old rig, hard gravel, which makes this little machine bounce all over. But finally at 105′ we got water, lots of it. Everyone was really happy. We took out the 4¾ inch bit and replaced it with a 6 inch bit, to ream the hole out so we can install casing. We made it to 30′ when the compressor unit abruptly stopped. A rust hole about the size of a pencil had opened up in the bottom of the 32 year old radiator, and the compressor severely overheated. So we loaded up, took the compressor unit back to the CSI yard and tore into it. It wasn’t quite dark when we manhandled the large 100 pound radiator out and into the back of the pickup. On the way back we passed a welding place, so we got it fixed and took it back to CSI. It was too late, so we drove back in the dark, and called it quits for the day.

The bright spot this day was when we drove back we passed the pump Snaider had put in earlier in the day (with a lot of problems), and it was being pumped almost constantly. Not a huge crowd, but steady use from the tent camp. Just think, now they won’t have to pay for water, or walk long distances looking for it, water is right there, readily available and clean! Thank you so very much, all of you who have given and prayed for this work. Progress is very slow with this old equipment, and I am really sorry for that, but we keep going as long as we can keep things working.

My hope is that the compressor engine didn’t overheat so badly that the engine is unusable. We will see tomorrow. I asked the people in the tent camp to pray about it, and I am sure they are tonight as they try to sleep in their new homes. If you have time tonight, pray for them…

Curt King – Port au Prince, Haiti